Friday, March 18, 2011

Genesis 9

I missed a few days of reading.  I thought about trying to catch up by doing several chapters in one day, but when I do that, it really takes the joy out of the process and makes it feel like a chore, so I thought I would just pick up where I left off.  Last night I read Genesis chapter 9.  I asked my husband if I could read it to him as we were going to bed.  I wanted to hear his thoughts.  He really just wanted to sleep, but as always, he is a trooper, and once I finished we ended up having a great conversation about not only that chapter, but a few others.  I love him...he is so intelligent, and conversations like that with him always really make me think.

Genesis 9 revolves around God commanding Noah and his sons to repopulate the Earth, and talks a bit about the different nations that descended from Noah's sons.  This time I didn't necessarily identify with just one verse, but rather the chapter as a whole. 

It amazes me to think of stepping off of that boat and having NO. ONE. ELSE. AROUND.  Just you, your wife, your sons and their wives.  That's it.  In today's age it is seen as wrong to marry within your own family.  People do it, but it can cause all sorts of genetic problems with the children you may have.  I guess that is probably why it is tough to think about coming off that boat and having that command to "repopulate the Earth."  Kev and I had quite a discussion about all of this.  We also discussed the flood and what that really looked like and even the question of is this story of the Bible central to our faith. 

What it came down to for me was yes.  Yes it is central to our faith.  I think it all is.  I can't say that part of the Bible is important and part of it isn't.  I need to figure this all out.  I need to figure out how I am going to interpret what I am reading and when I have questions, I need to find someone that I can talk to about those questions. 

Ultimately, this chapter, reading it with Kevin, and the discussion that followed just served to make me that much more excited about this journey.  I feel like I am seeing God's Word through new eyes, not just my own, but also  through the eyes of maybe someone that does NOT believe as I do, and to think about how to discuss it with someone like that.  It makes me hunger and thirst to read and to know more.  I am loving it, wholly and completely!

No comments:

Post a Comment