Friday, March 18, 2011

Genesis 10

This chapter of the Bible isn't one that is riveting for me, I have to be honest.  It is basically a genealogical listing of Noah's sons and their sons.  What was interesting for me in this chapter was to see what "nations" came from each of the sons.  That is one of the reasons that I love the footnotes in my Bible.  I feel like I learn so much more and it really helps me to want to get into the Word that much more.  Even what previously might have seemed like a boring chapter to me had some meaning when I saw that these guys were the "fathers of all nations."

Noah had three sons that are listed here:  Japheth, Shem and Ham.  They were the fathers of the various Biblical nations.

From Japheth came the Greeks, Thracians, and Scythians.  From Shem came the Hebrews, Chaldeans, Assyrians, Persians, and Syrians.  From Ham came the Canaanites, Egyptians, Philistines, Hittites, and Amorites.

What is even more interesting to me is that they all started out from three men, yet eventually these "nations" end up warring with one another, just as we all do now, and essentially, we all originate from these three guys too.  It makes me really think about the fact that I can't look down on anyone else because of where they are from or who their descendents are.  I don't really do that anyway, but it just reminds me that much more that I need to care for everyone, not just those that it is easy to care for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment