Monday, May 2, 2011

Genesis 11 & 12

Wow...I got a little off track there.  Life got busy.  Not an excuse, I know, but I made it one.  I started to think other things were more important and next thing I knew I was out of the Word.  I missed it.  Back to the grindstone. 

Genesis 11
The main focus for me in this chapter is the Tower of Babel.  This is something that just fascinates me.  First of all, to be living in an age where everyone spoke the same language must have been fascinating.  I guess they didn't know any different but imagine how they must have felt when God confused their languages??

The verse that struck me is Genesis 11:4  "Then they said, 'Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make an ame for ourselves and not be scattered over the face of the whole earth.'" 
These people wanted to make a name for themselves.  This tower was a wonder of the world, a great monument.  The people must have been pretty proud of themselves.  I wonder what things I place as monuments in my life?  Is it my house and how nice it looks?  Is it my kids and how they are behaving?  Is it my job?  God is the one that has blessed me with all of these things.  It is ok for me to develop and to appreciate these things, but the important thing to remember is that without Him I am nothing and these wonderful blessings would not be in my life. 

Genesis 12
The story of Abraham is always an interesting one.  The guy wasn't perfect, but the way that he follows God is a good reminder to me.  He just up and leaves everything that he knows and is familiar to him because God tells him to.  He doesn't really question, he just goes. 

Genesis 12:4 "So Abram left, as the Lord had told him: and Lot went with him." 
He obeys.  I wonder if I would obey if God told me to just up and leave everything and everyone I hold near and dear.  I have some friends that did that.  They felt God calling them to be missionaries in Cambodia.  They owned a home, they had three young daughters, they were settled and happy.  They both had great jobs...but they went.  They went!  I want to believe that I have that kind of faith and trust, but I know I need to work on it.  I often say that I am trusting God with things and then quickly grab them back and try to take over again.  That's not what he asks, he asks me to just give it to him and follow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment